Wednesday, December 5, 2018

UNIT: 78 : TASK 3 CHARACTER generating ideas



UNIT: 78 : TASK 2
CHARACTER 
generating ideas

Character reference and mood boards. As my character was supposed to be plant inspired creature I researched other artists work that involves a florean theme. Mood Board-











Initially I was sure that i wanted to create a plant like human, but I didn't know what type of plant will be the inspiration for my character.
Trying to imitate an alien I liked the appearence off, I created the image on the Left  making a short story explaining my choices in a word document.




I created the mushroom inspired man seen on the left as a side kick to my protagonist however, I decided I liked his design much more then the my initial concept so I continued developing this project instead.

I tried to base the design on a fungus called Armillria Ostoyae which is the largest living organism on earth spreading its roots over 2,200 acres of land. I found that interesting so I decided to base my characters quirks based on knowledge and communication to imitate the wide span of the more commonly know "Honey Mushroom"

I preferred the roundness of this (image on the right) variation of the Honey Mushroom as it could infer fertility,
so I decided to make my character chubby (image below).



I did however experiment with different body types, changing the posture to make the belly stick out more to make her/him (didn't decide) look more clumsy and endearing.

I also looked making it look more feminine and masculine by adjusting the width of the shoulders and hips, but I remained wit my original concept for the time being.















Clothing

My idea by themsleves wher every plain and based of casual attire. And so by carefully looking at the charcter concepts from my mood board I created new ideas. Trying
to achieve a friendly look that appeals to both feminnie masculine preference, I decided that i'll keep the character androgenous keeping the design natural. I emphesises the cute aspects to make the character endearing to all players. 

In the image on the left I was experimenting with ink to create more eastern looking clothing. I took inspiration from the eastern cultures of India and Pakistan to reflect a
"dress-like tunic called Dhoti (harem Pants), worn as a traditional men’s garment in the eastern world." This integration of cultural fashion would be appealing to western audiences by being in their eyes "exotic" while also attracting eastern audiences by allowing them to relate to their character. These also impose a certain aesthetic into the game. Initially, I was very unsure about how to stylise it so I tried to merge the Dhoti with they stylistic choices of Bridget Riley.


On the right, I tried thinking of designs for the mushroom hat she would wear but sometimes less is more so I gave that up









After experimenting with ink, water colour and felt-tip, I came to conclusion that the character would look best in purely natural clothing so, considering that my character should be relatively small in a real world, I clothed it in sown up leaves for a skirt, inspiration from tinker-bell. Personally, I always appreciated dichotomous characters I wanted to contrast its seemingly innocent and cute appeal with wooden armour that and a claw like leaf hand. These became its gimmick and main weapon, which made it seem like a rebel. The hair was an addition I considered but ultimately I left it out.













ASSETS

1POINT & 2POINT PERPECTIVE AND SOME ASSETS






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Test animation

Squash and stretch test- Sneeze Rotoscoping -   Lonk Victory Dance Pose to Pose - Hand clench Follow ...